Archive for the 'mistakes' Category

The Woad that is actually (Dyers) Weld

This is embarrassing. It’s what happens when you grow a plant that you have never actually observed from seed to dye pot. The Woad I thought I was growing is really Dyer’s Weld. Yellow not blue. More yellow. A really good, clear Lemon yellow but still more yellow.

Dyer's Weld

Before it began to bloom it could have been either.

Weld (not Woad) with Bee

However, as it blossomed it became obvious that the plant I had was not what I thought it was.  Checked every image I could find including the Druid Plant Oracle and I definitely was not growing Woad.

Weld

So I’ve got Weld, Dyer’s Weld. Nice looking plant. The bees seem to like it. Works on wool (protine fibers – so not cotton).

more Basil (blanket #1 of 2)

The first blanket is up to 109 stitches per section. At 113 stitches (plus, I believe, 3 rows of pearl) I switch to the color for the border. I actually reached 109 stitches a couple of times because I had to un-knit a couple of rows and pick up a dropped stitch.